Georgia Travel Articles
Join The Tour De Georgia and Fun At Stone Mountain Park
Georgia's rich history includes significant turning points like the Civil War that set brother against brother, & the birth of the Civil Rights Movement. Today, Georgia is a vibrant state filled with cultural, historical, & spectacular sports events & attractions travelers enjoy statewide. From April 16 to 22, 2007 Georgia's state parks, national landmarks, classic mountains and the state capital will highlight the route of the fifth annual Tour de Georgia.
Expanding its stature from six to seven days, the Tour de Georgia will begin for the first time in its five-year history on a Monday. A full week of professional cycling and community festivals will embark on April 16 from Peachtree City, Ga, located just south of metro Atlanta, and work its way in a clockwise direction around the state of Georgia and include a return to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Highlights of the 600-mile route include a dramatic individual time trial to the top of Lookout Mountain, a return to the epic mountain-top finish on Brasstown Bald Mountain, a stage finish in Stone Mountain Park and a return to downtown Atlanta and Centennial Olympic Park as the Overall Finish.
2007 TOUR DE GEORGIA ROUTE AND HOST VENUES
Stage 1: Monday, April 16 - Peachtree City, Ga. to Macon, Ga.
Stage 2: Tuesday, April 17 - Thomaston, Ga. to Rome, Ga.
Stage 3: Wednesday, April 18 - Rome, Ga. to Chattanooga, Tenn.
Stage 4: Thursday, April 19 - Chickamauga/Walker Co., Ga. to Lookout Mountain, Ga. (Time Trial)
Stage 5: Friday, April 20 - Dalton, Ga. to Brasstown Bald Mountain/Towns Co., Ga.
Stage 6: Saturday, April 21 - Lake Lanier Islands/ Hall Co., Ga. to Stone Mountain Park/Dekalb Co., Ga.
Stage 7: Sunday, April 22 - Atlanta, Ga. (circuit race)
The Tour de Georgia is one of the highest ranked stage races outside of Europe with a 2.HC rating from the Union Cycliste Internationale (international governing body of cycling) and is one of 15 races on the new USA Cycling Professional Tour. The 2006 event included 120 athletes from 24 countries. The final field of world-class teams and athletes is expected to be announced in early 2007.
Spring FUN Break Offers Nine Days of Family Fun At Stone Mountain Park
The Tour de Georgia will make a stop at Stone Mountain Park where there's so much to experience at the Stone Mountain Park that each visit is a unique and memorable experience.
Fun, exciting and thrilling activities are awaiting families at Stone Mountain Park's Spring FUN Break. For nine straight days, from March 31 - April 8, guests can enjoy all the great variety of exciting activities including:
* "Meet & Greet" and photo opportunities - Kids can meet Dora the Explorer™, Diego and VeggieTales® characters, Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber!
* Big Screen Showing - LEGO® Racers 4D Movie - Join racecar driver Max Axel as he duels across deserts, ice flows and urban jungles in this fun for all ages 4D experience at the Tall Tales Theater.
* Live entertainment - Two NEW Live Shows, Mother Goose the Play at Smithy's Stage where guests can join their favorite Crossroad characters as they present a fresh take on Mother Goose's classic nursery rhymes and the NEW Train show that guests can experience during the five mile ride around the base of Stone Mountain. Kids will also enjoy the Talking Fountain with daily shows throughout the week!
* Arts & Crafts for Kids - All ages can enjoy arts & crafts projects.
* Storytime - Kids can hear some of their favorite stories daily at the Cotton Tale Stage.
* Nightly Lasershow Spectacular - Families can stay to enjoy an Atlanta tradition, the Lasershow Spectacular on March 31- April 7. * Great Kids' Attractions - The NEW Camp Highland Outpost, the Treehouse Challenge, the Great Barn®, the Train, the Antebellum Plantation & Farmyard and more!
* Breakfast with the Characters (March 31, April 1, 6 & 7) - Families can make reservations to join the whole cast of characters for Breakfast at Miss Katie's Restaurant. Guests can make reservations on-line by visiting stonemountainpark.com/springfun and clicking breakfast with the characters.
* World's Largest Easter Egg Hunt - Sunday, April 1 at 2:00PM. Home to the Guinness World Record™ for the World's Largest Easter Egg Hunt, guests can help Stone Mountain Park fight to keep their title. Watch as the Special Events Meadow is transformed with over 300,000 colorful Easter eggs. Easter Egg Hunt is FREE to guests with paid vehicle entry.
The Park's One-Day All Attraction Pass guarantees kids a full day of fun - with access to all of the Spring FUN Break activities AND all of the Park's exciting attractions, including the NEW Camp Highland Outpost, Treehouse Challenge, the Great Barn®, the 4D Theater, the Train, the Summit Skyride and lots more! Families can stay for the world's largest Lasershow Spectacular nightly throughout the Spring Break event (no show on April 8). The Regular One-Day All Attractions Pass* is $24 (plus tax) and $19 (plus tax) children ages 3-11. Parking permit required for vehicle entry to the park - $8.00 (cash only) for a one-day permit or $35 for an annual permit. (Ride the Ducks Sightseeing Tour not included in the All Attractions Pass.)
Join The Action At The Tour de Georgia
The Tour de Georgia is North America's premier, professional cycling event and rolling festival of community activities. The Tour was first held in 2003 and has become a spring tradition with a varying route of over 600 miles of racing. Visit www.tourdegeorgia.com for details on this event.
Plan Your Visit To Stone Mountain Park
Stone Mountain Park is located 16 miles east of downtown Atlanta, GA on Highway 78. For 24-hour Park info call 1-800-317-2006. Save money and enjoy all Stone Mountain has to offer by printing Free coupons found at Stone Mountain Park's website.
Plan Your Visit To The Marriott Evergreen Hotel Conference Center and Spa Resort
The Evergreen Conference Resort is located at 4021 Lakeview Drive in Stone Mountain, GA. To make your reservations and find out about package deals available call: 770-879-9900 or visit the Evergreen Conference Resort online.
Marriott Vacation Specials
About the Author
all contents copyright © ci-Interactive formerly Cyber Island
design and programming by ci-Interactive